The Putnam Museum & Science Center and Iowa State University College of Engineering
Varies, see Schedule
Weeklong full-day camps
• Code, Create, Animate! | June 24-28, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. | Grades 3-5 | Students will learn basic coding for our resident robots and learn how to code an interactive story or create a game using SCRATCH! Plus, this summer, campers will meet the Putnam’s new collaborative robot, Baxter, and learn what it takes to train him.
• Create Your Own Superhero | July 8-12, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | Grades 4-6 | Campers will learn how to write and illustrate their very own comic book while discovering the world of superheroes. All drawing skill levels are welcomed.
• Survival: Camp Z | July 29-Aug. 2, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | Grades 4-6 | Gather with other survivalists who hope to hone their awareness and observational skills, while learning wilderness survival tips including edible plants, water filtration and first aid. S.O.S. Handbook Fee: $5 Two-day camps
• American Girl | July 1 & 2, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | Grades 1-3 | Campers should bring their favorite American Girl doll as they discover the real-life adventures of the brave American Girls who helped shape the United States and explore Putnam artifacts the American Girls used during everyday life.
• Artiste de Voyage | July 1& 2, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. | Grades 4-6 | Campers will learn exciting techniques to make beautiful art projects inspired by cultures from around the globe, including Indonesia, Japan, Mexico and India. Artist fee: $5
Weeklong half-day camps
• Jr. Oceanographers | June 3-7, 9 a.m.-noon | Grades K-2 | Students will discover how the ocean works and learn about the creatures that inhabit the ocean as they figure out the answers to questions such as how animals survive in the deep sea.
• Magic Tree House: Dinosaurs Before Dark | June 17-21, 9 a.m.-noon | Grades K-2 | Use your imagination to adventure back 65 million years to the Cretaceous Period. Students will enjoy morning story time followed by games, projects and crafts inspired by the mysteries uncovered in the reading.
• Code & Go! | June 17-21, 1-4 p.m. | Grades K-2 | Campers will have fun as they learn to “play” with robots and learn a little about coding and programming along the way.
• Meteorology Mania | July 15-19, 9 a.m.-noon. | Grades 3-5 | Do you have a passion for meteorology? Join us and other campers as we explore the skies together.
• Flight Academy | July 15-19, 1-4 p.m. | Grades 3-5 | Campers will “fly” alongside the aviation experts of the world, taking quick detours to examine the history of flight as they follow in the footsteps of the Wright brothers and Leonardo da Vinci by creating extraordinary flying machines! Carry-on fee: $5
• Engineering | One day of the following: July 22 (Grades 3-5); July 23 (Grades 6-8); July 24 and 25 (Grades K-2 —half-day, morning and afternoon camps); July 26 (Grades 3-8 – girls day)
This camp is an engaging experience for the young innovator. Sessions include LEGO® robotics, a GIANT Screen 3D film and the opportunity to create and learn side-by-side engineers from Iowa State University and the Quad City Engineering & Science Council.
Putnam Museum & Science Center
1717 W. 12th St.
Davenport, IA 52804
Weeklong, full-day camps are $175 while weeklong half-day camps are $90. Two-day, full-day camps are $75. Before- and after-care is available for select camps and will incur an additional charge.
Registration is now open for educational camps at the Putnam Museum & Science Center that are both engaging and fun.
“We’re thrilled to offer camps that are parent-approved and full of learning,” said Octavia Houtekier-Boyd, vice president of education at the Putnam. “They provide kids with a good balance of fun, education and care!”
Returning this year, American Girl camp invites campers to bring their favorite American Girl doll along as they explore the real history and Putnam artifacts these historical characters would have used. Also, Create Your Own Superhero is a new camp where students will learn how to write and illustrate their own comic book.
The summer camp programs are available for youth entering kindergarten through Grade 8. Pre-registration is required as space is limited and certain summer camps quickly sell out.
Weeklong, full-day camps are $175 while weeklong half-day camps are $90. Two-day, full-day camps are $75.
Before- and after-care is available for select camps and will incur an additional charge.
To register, visit www.putnam.org/Camps. Scholarship opportunities are also available. Contact Bridget Boyd-Carlson at 563-336-7308 or email email@example.com for more information.
• Full-day Camps: Before- and after-care is available from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. only for full-day weeklong camps for an additional charge ($5 before; $5 after; or $10 per day).
• Half-day Camps: Before-care is available for a $5 fee, and lunchtime extended care is provided at no charge for campers who opt to combine two half-day camps for a full-day experience. After-care is not available for half-day camps.
Engineering Kids Camp is an exciting, engaging experience for your young innovator. Fun, imaginative sessions including LEGO® robotics, a GIANT Screen 3D film, the opportunity to create and learn side by side engineers from Iowa State University and the Quad City Engineering & Science Council await your camper!